Wednesday, October 15, 2008



Well we are in Southern California. The weather is great and we have caught up with all the other boats that had left Canada at the same time.

The last week was spent back tracking by car to San Francisco to meet up with Alanna for one day. We rented a car and made our first stop Hearsts' Castle.

We were pleasantly surprised. We spent 4 hours touring the castle. By 1947, Mr. Hearst had created an estate boasting 165 rooms and 127 acres of gardens, terraces, pools, and walkways. Mr Hearst had collected art and furniture from around Europe after the war, creating a museum.

We drove Hwy 1. (Coastal route) so as to see the sights we had boated by. It reminded us of Golden with its very windy road.

Once in San Francisco we went to the Cnd Consulate to vote. Unfortunately my ballot did not arrive. Ken however got to vote. I figure I made an atempt to vote so I should still have the right to complain about our government! Which I am sure I will do. I am glad to see how the election outcome ended. (Mom I know you would disagree).

Alanna arrived Fri, we took her out for dinner and spent Sat. walking San Francisco. The Canadian Snowbirds were in town and gave an excellent performance. I am not sure if it is a great way to spend taxpayers dollars but what the heck! (I told you I would still complain in the last paragraph). Alanna then stayed with her med student friends to attend the med conference.

On the drive back we stopped in San Miguel at the Mission San Miguel Arcangel. We were fortunate to get in on a tour with Father Ray and his family. He had actually started his priesthood in the 60's at this mission. One of the four remaining missions still under the care of the Franciscan Brothers, it is very much alive today, and still serves the people and community of San Miguel, the purpose for which it was founded over 200 years ago. The mission's appearance today is much the same as when it was founded in 1797. Pictures will be in the photo album when I download them for the USA trip when we arrive in San Diego.

When we arrived back at the boat, evidence of high winds were everywhere. Dune sand coated everything.

The next morning we departed for Santa Barbara. This would be our last night travel until Mexico. I can now say that my "fear" areas are now completed having rounded Point Conception. Eleanor Roosevelt said that everyone should do something that scares them everyday to get the adrenaline pumping. I guess this is what I did. The trip was as smooth as one would want it around this much badly publised point. Once around we were into oil derricks and the strong smell of oil. The methane gas bubbles from the ocean here and oil oozes from the bottom of the ocean, creating a film on the water. I didn't see much in the way of wild life. They assure us that this is all natural not an oil leaks from the wells.

Ken will be doing an oil change on the boat today, then we will head into town to check out the sights of Santa Barbara. Until next week ......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home