Wednesday, December 22, 2010

We arrived in Grenada on Dec 13th giving us a full day before RJ would arrive. We anched in Prickly Bay and proceeded to go into Customs and Immigrations for 1000 hr. First one must go to the Health part of Customs and show them your medical records and passports. After everything is in order you are now allowed to take your quaritine flag down. (This was the first country to actually ask for our medical records)
We then continued to finish with the paper work for Customs. All went quick with Customs but it wasn't until about 1300 hr that the women from Immigration showed up. By 1330 we were legal to go wander. Waiting patiently is one thing a boater must learn to do when traveling between countries it is nothing like entering a country by air.
Grenada is a beautiful mountainous, green lush country. It is referred to as the Spice Island as it provides 2/3 of the nutmeg to the world. It smells like bananna bread when you walk through the markets!
The evening on arrival we took the dinghy to the restaurant at the head of the bay and were entertained by a wonderful Blues band. It was a great way to start out trip.
We had decided to not do any touring, geocaching until the kids and Alanna's boyfriend arrived for Christmas.
The transportion to downtown St George's is simple and inexpensive. It is a collectivo bus (not sure what they would call it in English) basically a large van.
Grenada is very English. However it does sound like a foreign language. The difference is that they understand us. Now when the little girl points at my blue eyes and say something I know what she said and can reply!
When Ken and I embarked on this adventure we had researched and planned for many years. We knew all the risks that could happen and have tried to be ready if something should ever happen. Our boat carries and extra toilet! Just in case. We have had to replace 2 now. Salt water is hard on them. In fact it is lucky we float with all the extras. Grenada has great marine stores and guess what I am getting for Christmas. Boat Stuff! Anyways to continue you must have everything in order. We had our pirate bait, have embarked in Mexico and Panama for emergency dental work. Mexico health care for Ken's burnt leg. I write about this as my daughter had to remind me that we knew and wanted to undertake this wonderful trip.
This will be the last blog for awhile and hopefully not too long but realistically it will probably be awhile.
On Dec 18 we were having a normal evening and went to bed. Ken all of a sudden did not feel well and we took him to the hospital in St. Georges. Ernie our crew was still with us and my son had now joined us. Ken suffered a heart attack. He was admitted to the hospital. There were no rooms in the ICU so he was put on a male ward. This is 3rd world medicine. They have great doctors and nurses. A fact that Grenada has a Medical University accepting students from all around the world. However they do not have the equipment. The head Dr after checking the xrays said he would have to medivac to Barbados where they have the state of art equipment. Through insurance time went slow as they wanted him medivac to Alberta. The problem was the doctors would not release him for that as he was not stable enough. Eventually he was medivac to Barbados. I will not get into any of the details but it is very serious. The people in Grenada are very religous and the nurses would sing hymns to Ken as they went about attending to him. Total strangers wanted to know his name so they could pray for him. The taxi driver we found became our personal helper at our beck and call and would not let us pay him. He helped calm me down more than once. I will always be greatful to him
The facilities in Barbados are second to none. We could not ask for better care. Today he will be operated on an then I am sure we will return by medivac to Alberta on time will tell.
The Genesis has been put on the hard (land) and the boatyard will take good care of her until I can get back to close her up. This is no longer huricane season so the urgency is not there and can be dealt with at a later date.
I decided to write about this as we have between 150 - 200 people that watch this blog weekly. I started it originally as a way to keep family and friends in touch and let other boaters know what to expect. I have had boaters email me and tell me after following our journeys we have given them some courage to get out there on the water. To us that is what this is all about.
We have been blessed with 2 wonderful children that have medical knowledge and are keeping their mother grounded and informed. They are awesome.
This journey has been about the people we have encountered in all the countries. Their generosity and willingness to share their lives with us. Show us their culture which is not much differnent than ours in so many ways. The main difference to me has been that they have not lost their spiritual selves or their family values. I really do not see that in our culture now adays.
The boating community. Awesome, awesome people there to help when needed at any time. We have met cruisers from around the world. It is a very tight community.
We are not sure what will happen. We will return someday to the boat I am sure but only time will tell.
So again thanks for following the blog and I hope to be able to pick up where I left in the near future.
Ken anf Faye
And of Course Genesis the magic carpet.

10 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye our thoughts are with you.

The Rooneys

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye, Werner and I are in shock. Just wanted to let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Love to you and the kids.

the Schroeders.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

December 26, 2010

Dear Faye, Alanna and RJ;
Craig called me to tell me the terrible news today. I have been stricken with a greif that can only speak to how much I ache for you. Ken has always been one of my very favorite people. He was always kind, generous and a so fun loving. You have all touched my life and I think and speak of you often, despite the lack of contact. I have so much sorrow and have you all in my thoughts as I recall the many wonderful memories.
My deepest sympathy for your loss.
Michelle Edey

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Ed said...

Words can not describe the shock when I showed up at the firehall and the cheif called me with the news. I have taken calls from just about every firehall in Calgary to find out what happened and all have asked me to tell you that you are in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything call me and Kennys Brothers and sisters from the CFD will be there to help.

Ed Look

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye
I was saddened to hear about Ken,
working with him at 16 records, with him talking about your upcoming trip just before retirement had me checking your blog all the time.
My thoughts are with you all

Jeff Trudeau

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Faye, Alanna and RJ
Words cannot express our shock
Our sincere condolences
If we can be of any assistance, do
not hesitate to contact

Don and Barb

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Faye.

John just heard the terrible news about Ken at a basketball tournament this morning. I cannot tell you how very shocked and saddened we are.
Ken was one of the nicest people we know. He was always there for a friend and truly cared about what was going on in everyones lives. We are grateful to have had a visit when you were home and we will cherish the laughs that we had with you, Ken, Don and Barb. Remember I almost talked him into shaving off the mustache – not likely!
Ken loved you, Alanna and RJ so very much and was always so proud of you all. He will always be with you giving you guidance and love. He will remain in our hearts with the fond memories of a wonderful man and a generous spirit. We wish we could have seen him behind the “wheel” on your adventure ship – he must have looked fantastic.
Look after each other.
Sincerely,
Heather and John Weiland

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was stunned when I was called from the firehall with the sad news. I pulled up your blog and a picture of Ken, then toasted him, you and the dream you both had. I was with Ken at his first firehall, 12 Station. I don`t know of many men as capable, happy and friendly as Ken. We will all miss him.
Dave & Ann Clark

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye, Alana and RJ, our deepest condolences. We were all proud to have known Ken. I enjoyed his camaraderie, his knowledge, his leadership and his friendship. God bless Ken and you all.

Crawford, Geraldine, and the boys

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger GBMike said...

It’s been 10 years. I miss him and love him. He has been watching over us and thatI am so happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home