Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ken's first mahi mahi


Ken and I going around Vancouver Island


Alanna , Kens and I at the airport in Mexico

Ken with his Marlin Catch





RJ, Ken and I in Mexico




To a sailor a Green Flash can be an occurrence seen only once in a lifetime. Green Flashes and green rays are optical phenomena that occur shortly after sunset when the sun appears to have just gone beneath the ocean. A green spot is visible for usually no more than a second. On our last night crossing to Grenada Ken and I witness the flash. We were jumping around like little kids. It was the first one we had seen in the 3 yrs.

Nature has a lot of wonders. We just need to open our eyes and see them.
Winds that are gentle breezes that turn into gales. Sunrises, moon rises, sunsets, moonset. Sea turtles, sea snakes dolphins doing tail walks.

Animals like crazy Lucy the monkey that attacked Ken for touching her yet when I fed her was as calm as could be.

Birds of many colours that have the audacity to sit right by you and crap on your freshly stained handrail.
We have been on the boat for 3 yrs getting her ready and cruising. It has been the best 3 yrs one could have asked for. Some would say living with a person 24/7 would be impossible. Not if you love that person and have the same dreams and goals. You want to explore what life has out there for you.
I have said many times that people out there told us we couldn't do this type of trip with our type of boat. I want to say to all those that try to hold people back,"Keep your opinions to yourself". Anything can be done with the will and desire and with proper weather indicators.

Ken did not survive his heart attack and on Dec 26 became my guardian angel. I am sure he is telling my Grandfather to move over!
No one could have asked for a better Captain and Mate. He touched everyone he met. His booming voice, his unforgetable 40 yr old mustache and his charm. I know that everyone that met him was fortunate.

With help from fellow boaters and friends Genesis will be brought up to Florida. I will be there with her. She will get put on a ship and taken back home to her slip where I will make her look pretty again. (She needs a face lift with all the rain). Ken was concern for her right until the end. She has played a big role in this dream.
There will be a memorial service in Calgary then in the spring the ashes will be put in the ocean to finish his dream.
I thank all those that followed the blog, for all the prayers and condolenses.
When I owned the flower shops a verse that stayed with me.
When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced. If you live your live in such a way that when you die you rejoice and the world cries your life has had meaning. That explains Ken to a tee. We have been told to expect many at his memorial, We have received hundreds of emails already and only some people know
He was my best friend, my love and my life. I promised him I would be strong and I will try.
For all those that have touched our lives, thankyou and I cherish everything. The nature, the friendships of the boating community and all who have followed the blog. This week there has been 250 people because of his health. What does that tell you. He was loved and respected
Time will only tell if I write about future boating on this blog but for now this was our chronical of OUR journey so I will end it here.
My aunt just sent me this message and I thought it worth repeating.
Where God puts a period, none of us must put a question mark.







11 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Faye
I am going to miss your teddy bear. He had a gruff voice but a huge heart and was always there if someone needed help. I hope I can offer you the same if you need help with anything before or after you get back. You will always see Ken in your kids and he will be looking after you from above.
Doug Chern
403-875-5565
doug.chern@shaw.ca

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Faye, you have become such a wonderful writer through your blog and a wonderful person (though you always were.) I am touched by your words as I am sure many are. Ken has left such an impactful legacy and along with you, you have both inspired many!Fair winds my friend.

Julie

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye/Alana/RJ

Faye we just read your posting. Shannon is with us for a few days. We are shocked. It has been such a pleasure following your blog over the last several years. We feel we have lost part of ourselves with Ken's passing. I'm sure that's nothing compared to yourselves.

We are down here until mid April before heading back to Calgary allbeit likely on the other side of the state from where you will be bringing the Genesis.

If there's anything we can do please let us know.

Mike/Nancy/Shannon Rooney
941-391-5924
mike.rooney@shaw.ca

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Mark Abrams said...

Faye,

I am saddened by this news. We have lost touch over the years, but you and Ken have always been dear friends. Please feel free to contact me to speak.

Mark Abrams
587 333 1719

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye, Alana and RJ,

It's Sarah--I just wanted to let you know that we are all thinking of you and your family. I couldn't believe it when Gramma called to let us know he had passed away; he made the world a better place for so many people over the years.



Sarah and family.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Roy Kloepper said...

Faye, RJ, Alanna,

I was totally floored by the news of Ken's passing! I will always remember him with fondness as the "little" man with big dreams and an even BIGGER heart! I know he will be watching over you all from above with a smile upon his face as he always spoke so proudly and fondly of his family. He was, and is, part of our family too at the Fire Department. He will be missed...

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Husch Family

I am very sorry to hear about Ken and send best regards to your family.Always enjoyed the times I worked with him. I am retired from A Platoon
God Bless Dale Mackenzie

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Faye,
i'm so sorry to hear about your loss, I just found out today from lynn, if there is anything i can help with please let me know.

Minna

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Faye, Alana and RJ
It has taken some time to be able to write this note. We have been, as most people, in total shock and disbelief. We attended the beautiful and extremely moving memorial yesterday. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. As was evident by the number of people there, he has touched many lives in a very positive manner, including ours. We will never forget Ken, his dry sense of humor, and his lovely twinkling eyes, he was a larger than life character for sure. We were so happy and proud for you both to be living the dream you both had been planning for so long. It is so hard to come to grips with why Ken was taken so early in this journey. I really believe he is with Max and probably has reorganized heaven already, or at least delegated the work to be done. Please let us know if you need anything, we will always be there to fill in in any way we can, even if it is just to talk. Our love, thoughts and prayers will be with you always.
Love Sherry and Dave.
sherrycoleman_9@hotmail.com
daveward_1414@hotmail.com
403-617-4226

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Liz said...

Faye,

Please accept my condolences on your tremendous loss of your husband Ken. You will be in my prayers. When you are in Calgary if there is anything I can do let me know.

Liz DeLong @eldelong@telus.net

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faye,
We are so sorry to hear of the tragedy that your family must endure. We send our heart felt condolences to you and you family during this time of loss!
Aaron and Fernanda
(Paulette's son and daughter-in-law)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home